It has been almost one year since the tragic London Grenfell Tower fire, which took the lives of 72 people and injured more than 70 more. The wounds are still as fresh as the day of the incident for many surviving family members.

As the Grenfell commemoration hearings are underway, many victims’ families are coming forward with stories of guilt and blame. A grieving father told the Grenfell Tower inquiry that this five-year-old son would likely still be here if the responding firefighters had not instructed his family to stay in place and wait for rescue. Paulos Tekle expressed extreme guilt for listening to the fire brigade when they told him and his son, Isaac Paulos, to remain in their flat on the 13th floor. Tekle said that he was told twice by the officials to stay put during two separate phone calls. Isaac got lost in the suffocating smoke and passed away.

Investigative reports following the incident demonstrate the validity that residents were advised to stay in place for the first two hours of the fire. This advice was based on the common assumption that most fires will not spread to other areas separated by walls and doors.

Numerous stories revealed during the inquiry detail the numerous stories of victims moving to higher floors in the building in an attempt to escape the smoke and flames. Many loved ones are coping with the loss of numerous family members, including many children. The youngest victim was just six months old. The fire broke out in the early morning of June 14 and burned all through the night and into the next few days until it was finally extinguished.

July 12, 2018 · Grenfell Fire · (No comments)

Last year, a horrific fire ripped through the Grenfell apartment unit in London. Many were killed and injured in the fire, and hundreds of people were left without homes. In the aftermath of the Grenfell tragedy, the local and national government were criticized as to their response to the tragedy.

This week, Muslim Aid released a report on how the local council responded to the needs of Grenfell residents following the blaze. The report is highly critical of the response by the local council stating that the response was uncoordinated and lacked in meeting the residents’ needs.

The Muslim Aid report is very critical of the leadership of the local council. The report states that much of the emergency response was left to charities such as Muslim Aid to carry out. The local council did not provide information to the Grenfell residents as to where they could find help. Muslim Aid provided a specific example in their report. After the fire, the council did not set up a helpline for Grenfell victims to contact for assistance. In order to meet this need. A number of charitable organizations banded together to create a help line themselves.

This report by Muslim Aid is not the only report that has been critical of the government’s response in the aftermath of the blaze. There have also been criticism that safety measures were not in place to help mitigate damage from the fire in the first place.

In light of criticism leveled against it, the local council in the area where the Grenfell fire occurred is replacing all the doors in council housing. Just like in Grenfell, the doors were not fire rated.

The council stated that it would not respond to the report by Muslim Aid. The council said it would do all it could to make sure that a situation like Grenfell did not happen again.